Central Java closes tourist sites during holiday season – National

0

News Office (The Jakarta Post)

Jakarta ●
Tue 29 December 2020

2020-12-29
16:35
282
0920e6703081f028872405a5260274a0
1
national
Central-Java, tourism, holiday, # covid19taskforce, # mothermessage, # wearmask, # keepyourdistance, # avoidcrowd, # socialdistance, # washyourhand, # usesoap
To free

The provincial governments of Central Java and Yogyakarta are currently considering closing tourist sites in their areas during the holiday season to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Central Java has decided to temporarily close 84 tourist sites in the province during the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

According to the Java Central Agency for Youth, Sports and Tourism, 27 tourist sites were closed in Purworejo regency, 17 in Wonogiri regency, 17 in Kudus regency, 10 in Rembang regency, nine in the regency of Jepara, one in the city of Surakarta and three in Pemalang. regency.

Agency chief Sinoeng N. Rachmadi said the provincial administration had closed tourist sites to prevent widespread transmission of COVID-19 during the holidays.

“The policy comes into effect from December 24, 2020 to January 2, 2021. However, some sites will remain [closed] until January 4, ”Sinoeng told Semarang on Monday, kompas.id reported.

He said some of the tourist spots, such as Widuri Beach in Pemalang, were only closed on public holidays and weekends, while on weekdays they would be open as usual.

However, other tourist sites, like all of Purworejo, would remain closed from December 24 to January next year.

Previously, two tourists from Borobudur Temple in Magelang Regency tested positive for COVID-19 during a random check by the Magelang Health Agency on Saturday. Tourists were urged to self-isolate immediately.

COVID-19 cases also continued to increase in Central Java.

According to corona.jatengprov.go.id As of noon as of Tuesday, there were 2,452 new confirmed cases, bringing the province’s total to 90,752. The province recorded 91 additional deaths on the same day, bringing the death toll to 5,585.

Also Read: Central Java Hospitals Seeking More Nurses and Doctors

Yogyakarta’s provincial administration is still considering whether to shut down its favorite downtown tourist attractions, including Malioboro, on New Year’s Eve to prevent gatherings.

“We suggest that Tugu [Yogyakarta], Malioboro and the zero kilometer point will be closed from 6 p.m. on December 31, 2020 until 6 a.m. on January 1, 2021, ”said Krisnadi Setyawan, a member of the Yogyakarta COVID-19 task force on Monday.

He said those areas had always been epicenters of crowds celebrating New Year’s Eve, and therefore posed a high risk of the spread of COVID-19.

He said the provincial administration had already limited the opening hours of shopping malls, entertainment venues, restaurants, cafes and cinemas until 10 p.m., according to Yogyakarta Governor Instruction No.7 / INSTR / 2020, effective from December 24 to January 8, 2021.

However, he said current regulations have not yet prohibited people from gathering in crowds in public spaces, including Tugu Yogyakarta, Malioboro or the zero mile point. Therefore, a lockdown or curfew should be imposed in said areas, he added.

Regardless, Yogyakarta’s deputy mayor Heroe Poerwadi said the city administration would not close the three sites, saying closing them would only move crowds elsewhere.

“We still plan to keep them open. If we close one site, another site would be overcrowded instead,” Heroe said Monday, Kompas.com reported.

He said the city administration would instead strictly enforce health protocols, deploying city officers, police and military personnel to monitor possible violations.

As of Monday, Yogyakarta had recorded a cumulative total of 11,320 COVID-19 cases, including 239 deaths, according to data from the province. (am i)

Editor’s Note: This article is part of a public campaign by the COVID-19 task force to raise awareness about the pandemic.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.